The year 2017 marks the 100th Anniversary of the United States giving female citizens the right to vote. This right was made possible by the strong willed women of the U.S.A., and some of them resided right here in New York State. To honor these women, a trail has been created to visit areas where we can pay tribute to the women in our area that made history in our country. Broome and Tioga County is one of the historic areas where women made change, and stood strong in their beliefs to give all women the right to vote. Visit the following areas of Broome and Tioga County to remember these strong women who made way for the equalization of men and women in our country.
1) 9011 Main Street, Lisle, NY
Now vacant, the old building was once Lisle Village Hall, where on Jan 5, 1918 an election was held. Upon this day, Florence Chauncey cast her vote at Lisle Village Hall. She was the first woman to vote in the town election.
2) Lisle Library, 8998 Main St, Lisle, NY 13797
Among the first women to vote in the Empire State were the Ladies of Lisle, who assembled just up the road from Binghamton in northern Broome County. After being granted the right to vote in November of 1917, and despite widespread disapproval from many men in the area, the Ladies of Lisle cast their first ballots on January 5, 1918. Two years later, the 19th Amendment was ratified in 1920 giving all women in the nation the right to vote. Later that year, Marjorie Stone, one of the group’s members, was the first woman in Binghamton to vote in a presidential election, doing so on November 2nd
3) Lisle Cemetery
Grace Clark, daughter, Delame Clark-Thompson, and Grandmother, Nedid Spencer are buried in this cemetery side by side. These women can be seen in photos with a group of women on their way to vote in lisle in 1918.
4) Leader Store
Once ran by activist, Grace Clark, this antique shop was a convenient store before other local grocery stores were erected in Whitney Point.
Binghamton – the 6th district of 12 campaign districts in NY
5) Centenary M.E. Church on Court Street
1913 New York State Woman Suffrage Association Convention held in Binghamton, Oct 14-17. Meetings were held at Centenary M.E. Church. Mrs. Helen B. Owens, of Ithaca, was elected as director of 6th district, and Margaret C. Topliff was elected as Binghamton Director.
6) 100 Henry Street, Binghamton
Where first district director for Binghamton’s Women’s Campaign, Margaret C. Topcliff, lived.
7) 50 Court Street, 2nd Floor, Binghamton
Meeting spot for Votes for Women Club
Today, Chinese restaurant on the first floor, in the years 1914-1915, a meeting area for local women to discuss getting the right to vote.
8) 63 St. John Ave, Binghamton
In 1916, Lillian Huffcut became the director of the 6th District, and campaigned in the Kilmer building. In 1918 she became a member of the State Executive Committee, Women’s Suffrage Party, and later became in the director of the Executive Committee of the League of Women voters in 1919.
9) Kilmer Building, 43 Chenango Street
The meeting place for the 6th Campaign District, New York State Women Suffrage Party in 1916.
10) 112-114 Court Street , Binghamton (building Demolished, now a parking ramp)
In 1916 the Broome County area was divided into two districts, and their headquarters were located in a building that operated a store for handmade goods, but has since been demolished and turned into the Security Mutual Parking Ramp.
11) 102 Oak Street, Binghamton
Catherine R. Batroo, 2nd Assembly District Director resided. She became the 1st elected women in the Broome County Republican Committee. She went on to found the Binghamton Society of Fine Arts, and served as President and Museum Director at the Library. The museum has relocated to Roberson museum, 30 Front St, Binghamton.
Historic Owego, Tioga County
12) Tioga County Courthouse
Where numerous suffragettes spoke, including Susan B. Anthony in March 1894
13) 18 Front St.
The former home of Elizabeth Browne Chatfield, secretary and personal friend of Susan B. Anthony. While on tour to speak at the Tioga County Courthouse, Miss Anthony stayed overnight at this home with Elizabeth Chatfield on March 28, 1894.
14) 249 Front St.
The former site of the Owego Female Seminary. Belva A. Lockwood (b.1830 d. 1917) was the principal from 1863-1865. She went on to become a lawyer and was the first woman to practice law before the United States Supreme Court. She also ran for President of the United States in 1884 and 1888.
15) Tioga Theater.
Where numerous visiting suffragettes spoke in the early 1900s.
16) Central Fire Station
Where women of Tioga County voted for the first time on January 8, 1918 after winning the vote on November 6, 1917.
17) No. 59
The former home of Harriet L. Moe, the first woman to cast her vote on January 8, 1918 after NYS women won the right to vote on November 6, 1917.
18) No. 106
The home of WWII Army WAC, Cpl. Margaret J. Hastings of world fame, who survived 47 days in a New Guinea jungle, nick-named Shangri-La.
19) 414 Chemung Street
The former home of Miss Pauline Knickerbocker Angell, head of the Waverly Suffragists, and President of Tioga County’s suffragists around 1913 to 1915.
20) 418 Chemung Street
Muldoon Gardens. This former High School was the site of many debates, speeches, and events for Waverly’s Women’s Suffrage movement. It is named after Mary W. Muldoon, a former Waverly teacher who not only well-respected in the community, but was also influential in shaping current teaching methods.